Society for Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy Inaugural Conference
October 3–6, 2021
University of Notre Dame
McKenna Hall Conference Center
Founded in 1977, the Society for Medieval and Renaissance Philosophy is the only learned society in the U.S. dedicated exclusively to medieval and renaissance philosophy. This inaugural conference brings together more than 90 scholars from across the country and around the world to share their research.
- Department of Philosophy
- Nanovic Institute for European Studies
- Institute for Scholarship in the Liberal Arts, Henkels Lecture Fund
- Medieval Institute
Conference Program and Information
For updates to the program, please check this document which will be continually updated with any changes.
If there is a handout for a talk, it will be posted in this folder
There is a “Zoom room” in esse intentionale corresponding to each room in esse reale. Please select the link corresponding to the room for the panel you wish to attend.
Meeting ID: 864 9115 5400
Meeting ID: 889 8303 7685
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 814 3687 6659
Meeting ID: 872 6502 7870
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 874 8653 0665
Registration is required for both out-of-town and Notre Dame speakers and attendees; please visit the registration page and click on the red "register" button. The registration fee is $20 for faculty and $10 for grad students. The fee includes the Sunday night reception, two lunches, and the Tuesday night banquet dinner. You will also be able to find the hotel links at the registration page.
Update: advance registration is now closed. You will still be able to register on site. If you are looking for a link for Zoom attendance, please check this page for the links, which will be posted before the conference.
For travelers arriving by air, we recommend booking your flight directly to South Bend International Airport (code: SBN). From the South Bend airport, the Notre Dame campus is approximately a 15-minute ride by car. Various transportation methods are available (e.g., taxi, rental car, limo).
For those preferring to fly to Chicago Midway or Chicago O'Hare and take ground transportation to South Bend, please note that there is no longer any bus service from Chicago to South Bend; it is necessary either to drive or to take the train (see below).
For train service, see Amtrak (www.amtrak.com; depending on the itinerary, it may be convenient either to travel to South Bend, Indiana, or to Niles, Michigan, which is about 25 minutes away). From downtown Chicago, there is also the option of the South Shore Line train, which will take you from the Chicago Loop (at the corner of Michigan and Randolph) to South Bend International Airport.
Conference hotels: We have reserved a block of rooms at the Morris Inn, located on Notre Dame's campus. The conference rate there is $139/night. Additionally, we have reserved a smaller block of rooms at Embassy Suites, located within walking distance of the conference venue. The conference rate at Embassy Suites is $149/night. To view the hotels and book these rooms at the conference rate, please visit the registration page.
- The University of Notre Dame requires vaccinations for students, faculty and staff. Guests to campus are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated.
- Guests will adhere to any dining and gathering protocols that may be in effect at the time.
- The university maintains the ability to alter plans at any time prior to the conference, in the event local and/or national cases significantly rise and present elevated safety concerns.
- For international travelers: Up-to-date information for travelers entering the United States can be found here. For an up-to-date list of countries currently under a travel ban, see this list (but please note that many of these travel bans are expected to be lifted in the near future).
- The University of Notre Dame requires all visitors to campus to wear masks indoors, whether vaccinated or not. Vaccinated speakers do not need to wear masks while presenting.
For more information about the conference, contact Fr. John Peck, S.J., at firstname.lastname@example.org