Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
University of Notre Dame
100 Malloy Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Office: 407 Malloy
Office Hours: W,R 12:30-1:30
Areas of Interest
Philosophy of Logic, Philosophy of Language, Philosophy of Mathematics
Frege's Conception of Logic, Oxford University Press 2012.
- "Frege," forthcoming in the Oxford Handbook of Nineteenth-Century German Philosophy, M. Forster adn K. Gjesdal (eds), Oxford University Press
- “Axioms in Frege,” forthcoming in Essays on Frege’s Basic Laws of Arithmetic, edited by Marcus Rossberg and Philip Ebert, Oxford University Press.
- “Frege on Formality and the 1906 Independence Test,” forthcoming in Formalism and Beyond: On the Nature of Mathematical Discourse, Godehard Link (ed), Ontos press.
- “Frege on Shared Belief and Total Functions,” Journal of Philosophy CIX 1/2 (Jan/Feb 2012) pp 9-39.
- “From Logicism to Metatheory,” forthcoming in The Palgrave Centenary Companion to Principia Mathematica, B. Linsky and N. Griffin (eds), Palgrave Macmillan.
- "Frege on Consistency and Conceptual Analysis," Philosophia Mathematica (2007)
- "Mathematical Objects and Identity," Situating Semantics, MIT Press 2007
- " Realism and Paradox," Notre Dame Journal of Formal Logic
- "Logical Consequence," Blackwell Guide to Philosophical Logic (2001)
- "Models and Modality," Synthese (2000)
- "Relative Identity and Cardinality," Canadian Journal of Philosophy (June 1999)
- "Frege and Hilbert on Consistency," in The Journal of Philosophy (1996)
- "Frege's Reduction," in History and Philosophy of Logic (1994)
- See personal webpage