Permanent member of the Pontifical Academy of St. Thomas Aquinas
President of the American Catholic Philosophical Association (2012-2013)
Associate Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy
University of Notre Dame
100 Malloy Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Phone: (574) 631-5153
Office: 309 Malloy Hall
Office Hours: by appointment
Ph.D. University of Notre Dame
Areas of Interest
Medieval Philosophy, Thomas Aquinas, Thomistic Metaphysics.
- Misericordia In Aquinas: A Test Case for Theological and Natural Virtues, " Faith Hope and Love: Thomas Aquinas on Living by the Infused Virtues, Peeters: Louvain, forthcoming.
- “Three Rival Versions of Thomism: Sellars, McDowell, and…,” Presidential Address of The American Catholic Philosophical Association, 2013. Forthcoming in the Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Association.
- “Anamnesis and Tradition: Aquinas and Nietzsche,” invited contribution to Tradition and Innovation, Cambridge University Press, ed. Elisa Grimi., in press forthcoming December 2013.
- "Evolution and Catholic Faith," Invited contributions to Darwin, Science, and Religion edited by Phillip Sloan, Gerald McKenny, and Kathleen Eggleson from University of Notre Dame Press, in press, forthcoming.
- “Videtur quod non sit necessarium, praeter theologicam disciplinam, aliam doctrinam haberi,” festschrift in honor of Ralph McInerny edited by Matt Lamb, in press forthcoming.
- “Actively Forgetting the Image of God: Nietzsche and Great Texts,” invited contribution to Finding a Common Thread: Reading Great Texts from Homer to O'Connor. Eds. Robert Roberts, and Scott Moore. St. Augustine Press, 2013.
- "Concepts, Mirrors, and John of St. Thomas: Reply to Deely, " forthcoming in American Catholic Philosophical Association, 2009.
- "St. Thomas Aquinas", Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, with Ralph McInerny.
"The Unity of Nature Now and Then: Aquinas and Hilary Putnam, " the Review of Metaphysics, 2008.
- "Neither Robber Barons nor Philosopher Kings: Political Prudence in the Just Polity According to Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas, " Proceedings of the American Experiment: Religious Freedom Conference, University of Portland, April 2007 , revised and published 2008.
- "Her Dark Night, " Commonweal: A Review of Religion, Politics, and Culture, " Nov. 2007.
- "Aquinas on Augustine's Mind and the Imago Dei," invited contribution to Aquinas as Augustinian, Catholic University of America Press, 2007.
- "Mind, Metaphysics, and Value: Discussion Essay," The Thomist, Fall 2007
- "Sacred Monkeys and the Seamless Garment: Catholics and Political Life,"Law Review of the University of St. Thomas, Spring 2006
- "Creation, Human Dignity, and the Virtues of Acknowledged Dependence,"Nova et Vetera, (2003)
- "Aquinas' Rejection of Mind, Contra Kenny,"The Thomist (2002)
- "Aquinas, Cognitive Theory, and Analogy," The American Catholic Philosophical Quarterly (2002)
- "The Problem of Language and Mental Representation in Aristotle and St. Thomas," The Review of Metaphysics (1997)
- "Concepts, Beings, and Things in St. Thomas," The Review of Metaphysics,(1996)
- The Bloomsbury Companion to Aquinas, with John Haldane (in progress)
- Thomistic Realism and The Linguistic Turn: Toward a More Perfect Form of Existence (2003)
- Recovering Nature: Essays in Honor of Ralph McInerny (1999), ed. with T. Hibbs