John and Jean Oesterle Professor of Philosophy Emeritus
Ph.D., University of Notre Dame
Areas of Interest
Metaphysics and Ethics in the Catholic Philosophical Tradition
- "The Openness of God: A Reply to Hasker" (1998)
- "Ockham on Faith and Reason" (1998)
- "Two Roles for Catholic Philosophers" (1999)
- "Whose Standards of Excellence? Secularity and the Mission of the University" (2000)
- "Suarez on God's Causal Involvement in Sinful Acts" (2001)
- "Fides et Ratio: A 'Radical' Vision of Intellectual Inquiry" (2002)
- "Good News, Your Soul Hasn't Died Quite Yet" (2002)
- "Christian Faith as a Way of Life" (2003).
- "Christian Faith as a Way of Life", In William E. Mann, ed., The Blackwell Guide to Philosophy of Religion (Oxford: Blackwell Publishing Co., 2004).
- "Review of John F. Kavanaugh, SJ, Who Count as Persons? Human Identity and the Ethics of Killing", (Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press, 2001) Houston Catholic Worker, January-February 2002.
- "Good News, Your Soul Hasn't Died Quite Yet", In Michael Baur, ed.,Person, Soul, and Immortality: Proceedings of the American Catholic Philosophical Association (New York: American Catholic Philosophical Association) 75 (2002): 99-120.
- "Fides et Ration: A 'Radical' Vision of Intellectual Inquiry", pp. 13-31 in Alice Ramos and Marie George, eds., Faith, Scholarship and Culture in the 21st Century (Washington, DC: American Maritain Association, distributed by Catholic University of America Press, 2002). [This is the published version for a slightly amended unpublished version, click here.]
- "Two Roles for Catholic Philosophers", pp. 229-253 in John P. O'Callaghan and Thomas S. Hibbs, eds., Recovering Nature: Essays in Natural Philosophy, Ethics, and Metaphysics in Honor of Ralph McInerny(Notre Dame, IN: University of Notre Dame Press, 1999.)
- "The 'Openness' of God: A Reply to William Hasker", Christian Scholar's Review 28 (1998): 124-133.
- Ockham's Theory of Propositions: Part II of the Summa Logicae, translator (1980)
- The Existence and Nature of God, editor (1983)
- Luis De Molina, On Divine Foreknowledge: Part IV of the Concordia (1988)
- William of Ockham, Quodlibetal Questions (1991)
- Francisco Suarez, On Efficient Causality: Metaphysical Disputations 17-19, (1994)
- Francisco Suarez, Creation, Conservation, and Concurrence: Metaphysical Disputations 20-22 (1999)