McMahon-Hank Professor of Philosophy (II)
Director, PhilMath Intersem, University of Notre Dame & University of Paris 7-Diderot
Department of Philosophy
University of Notre Dame
100 Malloy Hall
Notre Dame, IN 46556
Office: 408 Malloy
Office Hours: by appointment
Ph.D., Johns Hopkins
Areas of Interest
Logic, Philosophy of Mathematics
Select Recent Articles:
- "Dedekind Against Intuition: Rigor, Scope and the Motives of his Logicism", in Logic and Knowledge, Cellucci, Graosholz and Ippoliti (eds.), Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2011, 205--217
"Discovery, Invention and Realism: Gödel and others on the Reality of Concepts'', in Mathematics & Its Significance, John Polkinghorne (ed.), 73--96, Oxford University Press, 2011.
"Purity of Methods", with Andy Arana, Philosophers' Imprint 11:2 (2011): 1--20
“Rigor, Re-proof and Bolzano’s Critical Program”, Bour, P. et al. (eds.), in Construction, Festschrift for Gerhard Heinzmann, pp. 171–184, King’s College Publications, 2010
“Proof: Its Nature and Significance”, Proof and Other Dilemmas: Mathematics and Philosophy, Bonnie Gold and Roger Simons (eds.), 3–32, Cambridge University Press, 2009
“Purity as an Ideal of Proof ”, The Philosophy of Mathematical Practice, Paolo Mancosu (ed.), 179–197, Oxford University Press, 2008
Interview, in Philosophy of Mathematics: 5 Questions, H. Leitgeb and V. Hendricks (eds.), 87–99, Automatic Press/VIP, 2007.
Select Online Articles:
- "Löb's Theorem as a Limitation on Mechanism", Minds and Machines(2002): 353-381.
- What does Gödel's Second Incompleteness Theorem Say? Philosophia Mathematica 9 (2001): 37-71.
- Proof and Knowledge in Mathematics (1991)
- Proof, Logic, Formalization (1991)
- Hilbert's Program (1986)